Nowadays our culture is becoming increasingly attracting with the white teeth. So many of us wants a shiny and ultra-white smile like celebrities and models.
There are many products and treatments available to choose from when it comes to teeth whitening but they are not effective and suitable for everyone as tooth discoloration is different in all.
While another concern for many people is that most tooth whitening products use chemicals to bleach your teeth.
Do you want to avoid the chemicals? Why you not trying natural ways to whiten teeth? Don’t worry, this post lists many easy and safe ways that you can try at home.
But First: Let’s See What Causes the Teeth Discoloration?
Before we move ahead with the remedies for natural teeth whitening, let’s understand what leads to tooth discoloration or stains.
Knowing this may solve your half of the problems easily. There are various reasons our teeth turn yellow, brown, or black.
Some of the teeth discoloration reasons include:
- Drinking tea, coffee, wine and other beverages
- Consumption of tobacco products
- Eating a poor diet (lots of processed foods high in acid, candies, soft drinks/soda, etc.)
- Thinning tooth enamel due to aging
- Dry mouth
- Breathing through your mouth
- Antibiotic use
- Genetic factors
8 Easy Ways to Whiten Your Teeth Naturally
1. Avoid Smoking
Chewing tobacco and smoking cigarettes are some of the unhealthiest habits. It can cause stained teeth, gum disease and oral cancer. It also harms your overall health no matter how much you smoke. If you want to whiten your teeth naturally then simply stop smoking!
2. Understand the value of Brushing and flossing
When tooth discoloration comes naturally with age, it is mostly a result of plaque build-up. The best way to ensure your basic oral hygiene is regular brushing and flossing after every meal. This helps to remove any leftover food and preventing bacteria that lead to plaque.
Important note: Don’t brush immediately after eating foods that are extremely high in acidic as it can weaken your enamel. Also, if you’re out of home for the entire day then brushing may not be possible so in such cases you can do one thing: simply rinse your mouth with water. It can help you remove most of the residue. It is the simplest way to keep your mouth clean, right?
3. Try Coconut Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a traditional remedy practiced in India that improves oral hygiene and helps to remove toxins from your body.
Coconut oil is the most popular choice for whitening because it has a nice taste and many additional health benefits.
The downside to oil pulling is that it does take around 20 minutes of actively swishing oil around your mouth and not everyone can afford it in each morning.
How to use: Put 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (or any other oil) in your mouth and push & pull through your teeth. Continue the oil pulling for a full 15–20 minutes.
4. Mix Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide kills bacteria in your mouth in a natural way. Many teeth whitening products contain hydrogen peroxide but with the higher concentration than you will use.
The study says that a toothpaste that contains baking soda and 1% hydrogen peroxide led to whiter teeth.
How to use: Mix two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with one teaspoon of baking soda. Take a toothbrush and gently brush your teeth with this mixture.
Use this paste 2 to 3 times per week, as overuse of it can harm your tooth enamel.
5. Brush with Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal is a very popular way to whitening your teeth at home. Brushing with this powder whitens the teeth by absorbing plaque and microscopic tidbits that cause staining. It is also used to trap toxins inside the body.
Some dentists also recommend using activated charcoal for brushing 2 to 3 times a week for the best result.
How to use:
- Make a paste with activated charcoal powder and apply the mixture to your teeth.
- Leave it for 3 minutes allowing it to bind with impurities of your teeth.
- Brush your teeth as normal, paying extra attention to areas showing the most staining.
- Clean it off by rinsing your mouth with water and split.
Be Careful: It is very abrasive and may lead to sensitive teeth, so please don’t give extra force while brushing. Please avoid using it if you have tooth caps, crowns and veneers as it may stain them black.
6. Fruit peels:
This method involves using the skin of fruits such as citrus fruits, bananas, pomegranate, etc. to naturally whiten your teeth. This method is very affordable and easy to try at home. Most of these fruit peels also have other dental disease fighting qualities to keep your mouth healthy.
How to do it:
- For the banana and orange peels, rub the white stringy pits on your teeth for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Brush your teeth gently with a dry toothbrush in a circular motion.
- Rinse with water.
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste and rinse well.
- If using pomegranate peel then make it in a powder form. Make a paste of this powder and water. Brush your teeth with this paste every morning and night.
7. Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables
Healthy fruits and vegetables in the diet are good for both your body and your teeth. Brushing your teeth with crunchy, raw fruits and vegetables can help rub off plaque and keep your teeth looking bright.
Particularly, pineapple and strawberries have been claimed to help whiten your teeth.
How to use: Smash up a fresh strawberry or pineapple, mix it with baking soda. Apply this mixture on your teeth. Gently brush your teeth. Rinse well with water.
8. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) effectively works as a natural antibiotic and teeth/gum cleanser, would also be able to remove stubborn stains on the teeth. It can be found at most grocery stores or chemists.
There are many ways to use Apple Cider Vinegar to whiten the teeth and they all are easy to use and cost effective.
How to do it:
- Take 1 tablespoon of ACV and a cup of water. Mix it well and swish it around your mouth for several minutes. Rinse your mouth well with plain water.
- For stubborn stains, rub it on your teeth and then rinse mouth with water. Do it once per week max.
- You can also make tooth whitening paste with baking soda and ACV.
Be Careful: Don’t use it more than 1 to 2 times per week.
These are several natural methods that will help you whiten your teeth. These methods will not give you the instant result but will help you enhance your smile and overall oral health. If you have a budget, then you can get professional teeth whitening treatment from your trusted dentist that may produce instant and obvious results.
At Healthy Smile, we are also offering a sleep dentistry service for those who have dental fear. If you need more information on teeth whitening methods or any other dental tips, please visit our professional dentists. Call on 03 9877 2035 or email us at email@example.com for a free no-obligation consultation!